Re: Eli and Brian Update [Fwd: [>Htech] "Friendly AI" released for commentary]

From: Joseph S Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 04:28:36 PDT

Also sprach Jeff Bone:
> > We are actually incredibly clueless about the concept of a sense of
> > self.
>
> There's one thing we can say definitively about it, assuming you believe in "the real
> world" that is: we have one because it's a survival trait.

Oh, you mean like my appendix and my wisdom teeth?

I think SJ Gould would rip you a new one regarding the "if we have it,
then evolution dicates it must be useful, or at least once was useful"
argument.

- Joe

--
Joseph S. Barrera III
Software Architect, Broadbase (=> Kana) Software, Inc.

WORST SIGNATURE EVER