Re: King of the moon

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 14:46:11 PDT

The US tests in the 60s tripped circuit breakers in Hawaii from out over
Johnston Island:

http://www.fas/org/nuke/hew/Usa/Tests/Dominic.html

has time lapse pictures from Honolulu:

9:00 9 July 1962 (GMT)

This was the second attempt to launch the Starfish test. The original
Starfish was launched on 20 June, but the Thor missile engine cut out
only 59 seconds after launch. The range safety officer sent the destruct
signal 65 seconds after launch, and the missile was destroyed at
30-35,000 ft. The warhead high explosive detonated in 1-point safe
fashion, destroying the warhead without producing nuclear yield. Large
pieces of the missile fell back on Johnston Island, and more wreckage
along with plutonium contamination was found on nearby Sand Island.

Starfish Prime was successful. The Thor missile carried the test
instrumentation and the W-49 warhead/Mk-4 RV payload to 248 miles. The
test appeared quite spectacular from Hawaii (800 miles away) and at
Kwajalein (1600 miles away), with impressive light displays from an
artifical aurora lasting up to seven minutes. The electromagnetic pulse
(EMP) from this test sent power line surges throughout Oahu, knocking
out street lighting, blowing fuzes and circuit breakers, and triggering
burglar alarms.

The W-49 warhead used in this test was used on the Thor, Atlas, Jupiter,
and Titan missiles, and was a descendant of the versatile Mk-28
thermonuclear bomb.

Chuck Murcko
Topsail Group
http://www.topsail.org/