RE: King of the moon

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 14:41:14 PDT

> Yes. I purchased Lunakod 21 from the Russians. I am now the world's only
> private owner of an object on a foreign celestial body. Though there are
> international treaties that say, no government shall lay claim to
> geography off planet earth, I am not a government. Summarily, I claim the
> moon in the name of Lord British!

I think this might be factually incorrect. Apollo astronauts were allowed a
very small allowance for personal objects, some of which they left on the
moon. There is a picture in Michael Light's "Full Moon" of a family
snapshot left on the moon by one astronaut, presumably still personal
property. As well, there were some golf shots taken on the moon, and I
assume the golf balls are still on the moon, and are still personal
property.

- Jim