[Fwd: "Beggars in Spain" by Nancy Kress]

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 19:40:29 PDT

I received the forwarded e-mail earlier today from some unknown party
who apparently came across a particular FoRK thread. I'd copped the
name of this novel [ Beggars in Spain ] for the thread, which wasn't
about the novel but about the notion of altruism as a harmful meme;
it is, however, one of my favorite novels. This guy has written a
reasonably decent review of the book, well worth the read; he talks
about the novel as a vehicle for Kress's protest against Rand and
objectivism. Those who think the discussion here, particularly among
the radical capitalists, tends towards the dispassionate will take
heart in this quote:

     "The central message of Beggars in Spain is that our
     humanity as individuals is bound up in our obligations to
     the rest of humanity, and if we forget that, we become less
     human."

Not that I agree with that at all, but anyway. Good book, good
review, a few interesting links particularly -wrt- Kress on Rand.

$0.02,

jb

attached mail follows:

Hi,

I'm emailing you because I found an article by you about "Beggars in Spain" on some archive in the wilds of the Internet. I have just published a review of the novella on my site at http://explorers.whyte.com/bis.htm - comments welcome.

Nicholas Whyte

CEPS - thinking ahead for Europe!
CEPS web-site: http://www.ceps.be/
Northern Ireland elections: http://explorers.whyte.com/