Re: Next hype to go for

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 13:27:42 PDT

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> That's not enough, unfortunately. Cognitive research shows that activities
> which require attention and motor skills suffer when the person is engaged
> in pure-cognitive activities simultaneously.
>
> I know I'm somewhat of a worse driver when I'm talking to a passenger. And
> passengers are more forgiving than the person on the other end of the
> cell-phone line who can't tell if you're trying to merge at this moment.
>
> lisa

I have a big problem with these kinds of laws. The risk increase varies
tremendously, from non-existent to major. Are they going to legislate
talking? What about revoking the license of anyone who doesn't score in
the top 60% on reflexes, attention, and integration of multiple sensory
inputs? Top 30%?

Reminds me of the CA laws against wearing a headset while riding a
bike. (Does that cover running too? What about walking? You might be
sitting at a bus stop and not hear someone yelling about the rogue bus
coming after you! PLEASE!)

I manage risk every day while driving, walking through a parking lot,
sometimes skating in downtown DC in traffic, etc. Invasive laws that
don't Always make sense are really annoying. Seat-belt laws in,
cellphone bans out. Least common denominator laws that assume some
minimal level of ability are insulting and bound to be ignored. Speed
limit laws, on a highway, fall into this category in many circumstances.

FWIW, I have been using a headset on office, home, and cell phones for
about 5 years now. I buy the noise-canceling headsets at Radio Shack
for driving and home; $20-30 and they work great.

I do however multitask quite a bit while driving; probably enough to
shock a number of people. I'm far more likely to fall asleep driving
than to screwup while multitasking. I pay More attention when doing so
in fact.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st