Re: Coercive Monopolies in Technical Markets (Intro)

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 12:05:42 PDT

Well written.

In a sense, GPL and the free/open software movement is an invention of
the market to combat this trend.

We'd obviously be better off with true commercial competition, but how
we get from here to there is a difficult political problem.

In a sense, some of the players who have been marginalized by the
overwhelming monopolies are merging their consumer interests and
producer potential while participating in a meritocratic cooperative.

This is true not just in OSs like Win32 vs. Linux, but also in databases
between the oligopoly of Oracle/Sybase/Db2/MSSQL and
MySQL/Postgres/Interbase/etc. IE/Mozilla, MSOffice/Star Office are both
clear examples of this end-run.

As much as I lament that the world would have been better off with more
MS competition over the last 17 years, commerical Unix Did used to cost
as much as $4000, even for Intel platforms. I guess it just took enough
time for Richard Stallman's (and a few early 'shareware' authors, along
with IETF and Unix related developers and recently Linus) memes to
sufficiently infect the technologically disenfranchised for us to come
out of the computing dark ages.

Free/Open software and related concepts seem to really philosophically
confuse a lot of people who seem to think that it's Marxest, etc. I see
it as compatible with capitalism with a few differences, but that's a
different conversation. One thing it's not is coercive.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams