Re: Microsoft's Astounding Arrogance

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 14:05:54 PDT

Jeff Bone wrote:

> I fear you are probably right in the short term. In the long-term, with
> ecologies as the metaphor for economies, it's clear that permanent niche
> domination is untenable.
>
> jb

Yes, in the short term MS is going to bloat even more. I believe
they'll lose a few short term battles which will keep things fun and I'm
fairly confidant that in the long run, their current businesses and
business practices will be marginalized.

Of course, they have more cash than anyone else and can spend lots of
effort searching for the next lock on the market. Unless they are split
up, they will dominate some major part of the economy for quite a while,
but hopefully not all of it.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st