Re: [Jeff Covey @ Freshmeat] We Are Losing the Browser War

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 10:07:42 PDT

Justin Mason wrote:

> Great mail! I have just one (minor) nitpick:
>
> > FWIW, Galeon and Konqueror already embed Mozilla as a component.
>
> Actually, Konqueror is an entirely independent project and codebase. And
> a very impressive job it does too,
>
> --j.

In any case, it IS possible:

http://muhri.net/skipstone/

This is exactly what you were talking about, an Active X IE compatible
control for Mozilla:

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

This is cute:

Using the IE patcher tool

IEPatcher is a tool to scan an executable or DLL and patch it to replace
instances of the IE control with the
Mozilla control. Since both controls are binary compatible, this is just
a matter of replacing the
CLSID_WebBrowser with CLSID_MozillaBrowser. If you have built the
Mozilla browser, try running the
patcher on an app that uses IE and see if it works!

They don't say whether it works on the AOL client or not...

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams