RE: [FANTASIA] Naperville, Boeing's new home

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 11:33:02 PDT

Actually, there was one quote in the original article that was like a time bomb:

[...]
 William H. Schmidt, executive director of the TIMSS National Research
Center, said that, while there exists great disparity among individual
districts in the United States, no one state stands out as a
world-class performer. Most, in fact, fall in the middle of the
international pack.

 "Until we find some kind of national leadership in the United States,
what we'll continue to have are these accidental enclaves of
excellence."

[...]

Accidental? Sounds to me like the Chicago North Shore schools improved their performance after quite a bit of deliberate effort. Local -- perhaps. But never accidental.

Ken Meltsner