RE: Tivo, Fair Use, Video-in-the-Cloud, and Vidster

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 11:41:38 PDT

> My main concern is the memory -- I heard these boxes
> have clearance issues with some of the memory sticks.

I put in 512MB of memory... the DIMMs were about 1/8-1/4
of an inch taller than normal, and it was a tight fit.

> I'm trying to decide what processor to put in the system. I'd like to be
> able to record and play video at the same time, so I'm thinking a PIII,
> maybe as much as 800 MHz. Any thoughts?

With an 800Mhz CPU, the boxes are great. Though I have
heard of them overheating, I haven't seen it in my
box, and I was using it with Linux to do a lot of
file I/O CPU work (compressing, splitting files, etc.
etc.)

I've heard you have to tweak a jumper for lower
speed chips.