Re: Nightmare on Elm Street with Win2k Professional

From: Karl Anderson (kra@monkey.org)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 11:21:27 PST

"Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net> writes:

> rsync
>
> Does more, network enabled. Use with ssh to get great security. Highly
> efficient.
> There's no 'infinite retry' mode that I remember. Easy to add, easier
> to just restart.

I'm using rsync to backup several machines onto a backup box, where
some machines are in the bb's firewall, some not. Good for simple
backups, you know where the config file is. Bad for versioned
backups; I'd like to keep some old versions of changed files, but the
best I can do is have the bb wastefully copy a second version of the
whole tree (but I guess this should be a job for the bb's filesystem,
anyway). Also, in order to cron it, root needs to be able to ssh to
the backup machine w/o passwords from any other machine, which just
sucks.

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.monkey.org/~kra/