RE: Patent flap slows multilingual domain name plan

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 04:16:36 PST

> Any prior art out there? (Apart from uuencode,
> MIME and similar :).

Depends on the exact filing date (seems like 1999).

If it was filed in 1999, this guy didn't even invent
it... Martin Duerst, Francois Yergeau, myself,
Glen Adams and others did (especially Martin).
Martin even wrote an RFC on something like it.

I think we first discussed this scheme in early
1995.

The only saving grace for this obvious bit of
plagiarism is that he talks about Winsock.