Re: [Jeff Covey @ Freshmeat] We Are Losing the Browser War

From: Tom WSMF (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:16:59 PST

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Robert Harley wrote:

--]On what planet is Linux not directly away taking NT sales, especially
--]in the server room? Adding to my personal amusement factor: just
--]yesterday afternoon + this morning I called Dell and IBM to see which
--]would be quickest to deliver a dual GHz server with ECC SDRAM and 10K
--]RPM SCSI disks. Of course they're configured for NT by default with
--]niceties like winmodems, 2-button Microsoft mice and Windows-only
--]software to handle the UPS etc.

IBM prorobly has hte best chance of pulling LInux up to beat NT at its own
game than any three other companys. Why? Cause it got the shit kicked out
of it in the 80's and with os2 and is , if its thinking properly, out to
prove something that goes back decades.

IBM folks...

--]Then the service shop at easter-eggs.com tried to convince me I needed
--]Debian since RedHat is "tainted by commercial interests". For fuck's
--]sake. :(
--]

When you deal with so called "linux" admins who cant upgrade software with
out RPMs you are reallyt and truly fucked. Todays linux is about 80%
tourist 20% Cluefull. OF course with NT and 2k its more like 95% tourist
and 5% Cluefull.

IN the end its DIY or Bend OVer.

      \ /
       X ASCII Ribbon Campaign