Re: [Jeff Covey @ Freshmeat] We Are Losing the Browser War

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 15:06:14 PST

Karl Anderson wrote:

> I learned that having flash installed crashes my browser (netscape
> 4.72 on redhat 6.2, approx. 2 year old hardware) when I visit some

I've learned that having Java and JavaScript enabled reduces my
browser half life time to hours (or minutes, if heavily used) from
days/up to a week. Flash? Poppycock. Show me a browser which can
survive Java/JavaScript for a day, and I'm sold.

> sites. That makes flash currently unviewable under linux, as far as
> I'm concerned. Designers that use flash are shutting out linux users

Good riddance.

> (at least the majority that use my vanilla setup), and if they
> don't know that, they haven't done jack for usability testing.

The attitude seems to be: 95% of all users use IE, and I can't be
expected to be testing 5 different browsers under 3 different
platforms when I have a deadline, so bugger off. Get IE instead.
Oh, you don't run Windows? <really weird look>

I think such attitude sucks, but that's just me.