Re: [Jeff Covey @ Freshmeat] We Are Losing the Browser War

From: Tom WSMF (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 06:32:06 PST

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

--]
--]Of course sites often abuse capabilities like Flash. Quite a few sites
--]come up blank if you have Flash turned off which is quite stupid. There
--]should always be an alternative that contains all the information not
--]only for handicapped people, but for alternative access methods like
--]Palm, RIM, cell phone, voice browsers, etc. I've seen a number of hints
--]of laws being extended to enforce this.
--]

Doing work on a .gov internet site means having to follow the ADA laws for
web browser accessability. Thing is , not veryone does. So my sites look
plain but have great info while others flash like a loon with navi bars
and drop downs etc...well they are not beholden to the same laws:)-

All the flash and whizz folks are crawling back ot the intranet sites,
where even there the ADA laws may yet be enforced.

The Web Design wonks here HATE bobby, the mere mention of it sends them in
fits of rage.

Can you image that I do not take glee in showing them there site in lynx?

Evil tom, bad bad bad.

Now lets get one thing crystal.... Sticking to pure HTL does not ensure a
usable site. Pray no, i have seen many a site crapped up and fluxed with
just the simple wonders of HTML, no flash was needed.

So banging on Flash becuase "it creates bad sites" would force you into
banging on HTML for the same reasons. So becarefull you HTML purists, the
ass you bite may be your own.

chomp

      \ /
       X ASCII Ribbon Campaign