Tornados, etc. (Re: Grading the gov't (was Re: G & J, in cahoots?))

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 18:52:47 PST

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 Grlygrl201@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/20/01 7:51:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, jbone@jump.net
> writes:
>
> << BTW, Austin's not really considered to be in Tornado Alley. >>
>
> i can wish, can't i?

Here are some national tornado risk maps. Since the whole Midwest is a
risk area, but the risk to any given person is small, I find it hard to
blame tornado victims for living there.

http://www.usgs.gov/themes/map6.html
http://www.fema.gov/image98/tmap.gif

I haven't found a national flood risk map. Of course, you need to be
pretty close to water, except for 100-year floods and such, so the maps
are going to be pretty local. I do think insuring people who build in
high-risk flood paths is largely misguided.

There's a very cool tool from ESRI and FEMA that lets you make localized
maps of your own risk of flood, earthquake, hail storm, tornado, or wind
storm. Check it out!

http://www.esri.com/hazards/makemap.html

I looked for Washington's recent earthquake, and whoomp, there it is.

http://mapserver2.esri.com/cgi-bin/hazard.adol?s=1&c=-122.201219%2C47.646278&d=0&cd=z&p=4&x=45&y=16

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle