Re: Becoming our mother?

From: Antoun Nabhan (antoun@arrayex.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 05:45:52 PST

Hmmm...I'm still paying about 35% of my gross income in taxes, and I do
retain an accountant. Which further confirms my suspicion that I'm not rich!

This "rich pay no taxes" trope - how accurate is it? According to the MSFT
annual report for 2000, they paid, or at least set aside money to pay,
$4.854 billion, in taxes. (See <http://www.microsoft.com/msft/ar.htm#> and
skip to page 2 of the 'financial review' section.) I suppose the thing to
do is request their actual tax return, which would be public info and
probably the relevant numbers are in their 10-Q. Even assuming they lawyer
away some portion of that tax burden, there's a really big gap between
"nothing" and "4.8 billion dollars."

It's not that the Dems and the Reps are different, it's that they choose to
tell different lies.

--A.