nolo comprehende

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 17:16:20 PST

Grlygrl201@aol.com writes:
> can someone explain to me why we are not getting a payroll tax cut,
> which seems to me would boost the demand side of the economy (do we
> need any more help with the supply side?) and would help the
> working poor (i.e. ME) instead of the plan being hawked as a
> stimulus that delivers like 1/10 of 1% up front, most to people who
> are wealthy enough that their spending and investment habits
> probably won't change at all?

I remember several years ago, just after the US Army came back from
Iraq, I attended a panel discussion (at the Kennedy School, I think)
about what had just happened. One of the panelists was Noam Chomsky.
When the moderator asked him what he thought of the war, his first
response was to question whether the word really applied --- he
thought a war was when two sides met somewhere to fight, and it seemed
the Iraqis never showed up.

For some reason, this remark comes to mind every time I hear a
Republican say how his party is opposed to class warfare.

rst