RE: How to Good-Bye Depression

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 13:17:20 PST

After I explained what I'd learned about Extreme Programming during my
"investigations" a few months ago (mostly reading web pages on some Wiki out
of curiosity), my boyfriend came up with a new code productivity model. It
should be clear why Wayne's post reminded me of it...

Butthole Programming

Butthole Programming is an effective, yet simple way to reduce the number of
coding errors. The method is simplicity itself; merely insert right thumb
(left thumb if programmer is left-handed) in one's own butthole. Now
program.

The slower typing speed enforced by keeping one's right thumb up one's own
butthole results in more careful thinking and planning while programming,
which results in fewer errors per day. Or it could simply be that slower
programming results in fewer errors because fewer lines of code are
generated. We don't know. We haven't done any scientific testing of
Butthole Programming. But it could work for you!

Special note for managers! Enforce Butthole Programming on your entire
engineering team, and watch how much more effective your test team
becomes -- you can probably fire a few of them! Also you will be ensured
that any engineer that actually stays on your team after you inflict this
upon them will be your slave for life, obeying without question any
programming model whim or fancy.

Lisa

PS What the fuck is the book description below talking about when it says
that a practitioner of Anal Constriction can do #### three times without
"drawing out"? I can't make head or tail of it.