Re: In case there was any doubt...

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 03:06:54 PST

Jim Whitehead (ejw@cse.ucsc.edu) wrote:
>As well, I tihnk the burden of proof rests on you to show that the scientist
>who was aboard the vessel that reported the ice breakages is also a member
>of one or more IPCC committees. Then, if you were to show this, you would
>have to demonstrate that this lone scientist was a significant opinion
>leader in the IPCC, before you could claim that it is "the same crowd" that
>did both.

Ask and ye shall receive. The dude in question is Dr. James J. McCarthy.

http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/kaboom/mail-archives/Eyring-L/0008/0284.html
UN to advise governments on global warming. It coincides with official
confirmation that the icecap covering Greenland is also disappearing.

http://www.usgcrp.gov/ipcc/
Working Group I: The science of climate change
Working Group II: Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
Working Group III: Mitigation of climate change

http://www.usgcrp.gov/ipcc/html/wg2organ.html
Working Group II Co-Chairs
Osvaldo Canziani, Argentina
James McCarthy, USA

New York Times
United Nations. The panel is studying the potential environmental and
economic consequences of marked climate change.

>From McCarthy's homepage

http://environment.harvard.edu/gea/people/bio_jm.html
He was involved in the first IPCC assessment, co-authoring the
concluding chapter of Working Group I. In the third IPCC assessment he
co-chairs Working Group II, whose task it is to assess impacts of and
vulnerabilities to global climate change, with an intensified focus on
adaptation.

I guess the fact that he writes some of their conclusions counts for
something.

>Actually, it is my recollection that the media also covered the story that
>this wasn't as big a deal as you might think.

It was covered alright, about a hundred times less prominently.
For instance the New York Times reporter retracted his story in
Science Times, "Open Water at Pole is Not Surprising, Experts Say" and
admitted that cracks in Arctic ice open every summer, actually.
However just to prove a point he claimed that Arctic winter
temperatures had risen 11 degrees in the last 30 years. Uh... more
like 1.1 degrees and they dropped by the same amount in the previous
30 years.

I remain,
  Rob.
    .-. .-.