Re: Market Perspective

From: Antoun Nabhan (antoun@arrayex.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 16:56:41 PST

<http://www0.mercurycenter.com/business/top/084109.htm>

Quoth the Mercury News:

>Venture capital investment in the Bay Area fell 27 percent from the third
>to the fourth quarter of last year, to $5.16 billion from $7.1 billion,
>according to research firm VentureOne. That was the largest decline in
>five years. The average one-year return to venture funds will sink from 43
>percent in the first nine months of 2000 to negative territory in the
>fourth quarter, predicts Venture Economics, another venture capital
>research firm.

$5.16 is still a hell of a lot of VC money. I'm willing to bet that the
total for Q1 of 2001 is still somewhere above $2BB. But hopefully the
downturn will send some of the smarmier carpetbaggers back to the east
coast and stick a pin in the ballooning rents just in time for me to return
to California in July!