Re: Ginger discussed on Today Show?

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 23:16:53 PST

I thought long ago that a cool solution is a drive-up train.

You setup specially equipped flatbed cars for safety, a row of
ramp/parking/loading docks, and load the whole train at intervals with
sets of commuter cars. You then just park and ride until your stop.

I had this idea when I was a teenager, decades before I ever rode on a
train or plane. They came through little towns where I lived pretty often.

This could be done now and give you most of the benefit of the electric
car/train gizmos, although it is a cool idea in the long run.

In the grand scheme, sharing actual vehicles is not attractive except in
the high dollar rental business where there is cleaning, maintenance,
and direct payment for damage. True sharing is only for a small
percentage of people and fraught with the same difficulties that sharing
apartments or houses presents.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st