Re: What will you do with your teraflops PC?

From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 19:43:52 PST

Eirikur's law: The amount of time I spend waiting for computers per
day/month/year is a constant. Excessively large, by the way. This has been
true for about 25 years of Moore's law progress.

I say that having that many computes under a fingernail is going to move
all the problems into the interface technologies, which are moving, but
seemingly significantly slower. We'd want the retinal-display technology
from Microvision, for example, at the very least.

Finally, I'll be able to get the sound out of the synthesizer to where I can
come to blows with it, mangle it with my bare hands. Knobs are so
unsatisfying.

Think of physical modeling synthesis with a VR interface. I'm not sure I'll
need gloves. I'm hoping for a free-space 3D display by then.

For the proletariat, think functional air-guitar.

How about all kinds of pervasive-computing immersion stuff where you can
choose to hear or not hear that air-guitar player on the streetcorner. Now,
assuming micropayment, which way should the payment flow? :-)

At this throughput level, a cheap PDA will be a complete recording studio
with physically modeled (or other computationaly expensive) instruments and
plenty of DSP to slather over them.

Another thought: With this kind of horsepower and the very promising
bio-interface work of today scaled into production, I'd be designing brain
implants that can usefully take over the work of damaged areas, restoring
function to the impaired, and working toward real brain interfacing and
augmentation. This assumes a good amount of progress in PET and SQUID and
the rest of the imaging menagerie, and cyber-surgery.

Eirikur