Framing an employment contract

From: Damien Morton (Morton@dennisinter.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 14:49:02 PST

Im about to start interviews/discussions with an internet company wrt to
joining them.

I read that their last round of financing is expected to run out later in
the year, and I understand that they are currently on the hunt for their
third round of financing.

Im not going to join them if, for reasons completely beyond my control, they
might go under in a few months and Im out on my arse.

Are there any standard ways in the US to frame employment contracts such
that Im protected from their financial ups and downs?

Something like a 1-year employment contract. What other mechanisms are in
common use?