Re: Ginger discussed on Today Show?

From: kragen@pobox.com
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 23:19:44 PST

"Joseph S. Barrera III" <joe@barrera.org> writes:
> Wayne E Baisley writes:
> > Wait 'til you've got a mandated percentage of zero-emissions (electric)
> > vehicles to recharge. Where do we get people who come up with policies
> > like these?
>
> Yeah, I know. Every time I see one of those electric cars in the
> parking lot, I just shake my head and think of the poor owner
> bastard's electric bill. But then again, if they cared about money,
> they wouldn't have paid $30k for an underperforming subcompact.

Are you saying they cost more per mile than gasoline vehicles? Grid
power is roughly an order of magnitude cheaper than power from
gasoline-powered generators, and the inefficiencies in converting
between electric energy and mechanical energy in either direction are
between 5% and 40% --- nowhere near 90%. On this basis, I'd expect
them to cost considerably less per joule, and since they're
lightweight streamlined subcompacts, I'd expect them to cost fewer
joules per mile, too.