Re: we get NO signal, all your 802.11 base are belong to the Man

From: Karl Anderson (kra@monkey.org)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 16:27:23 PST

Gregory Alan Bolcer <gbolcer@endtech.com> writes:

> Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
> >
> > Tony Finch wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.consume.net
> >
> > Gee, dude, that's soo last year.
>

> Yeah, what's with that? I need some real
> solutions here. I've been trying to figure
> out how to start a local consume.net around here
> in anaheim hills as our house is lacking any
> means of broadband (cable, dsl, sat) while
> about 3 miles away at my wife's parent's house
> they have full blown access to all 3 and don't
> have any of them.
>
> Can't get here from there.

huh? Sure you can, that's commodity equipment and basic routing,
assuming a clear line of sight and other caveats. It's a long range
version of what I'm doing within my house right now, and I haven't had
the patience for esoteric hardware or tricky system administration for
a while.

Consume.net or another wireless LAN info hub will describe the
stuff to buy; assuming 486s are free, it's IIRC $300-600 for 2 nodes
plus the antenna costs.

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.monkey.org/~kra/