Re: IDG.net

From: Eugene Leitl (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 08:13:02 PST

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> I'll be really impressed when they can do
> multi-color silicon LEDs at room temperature.
> Instead of a binary off/on, you could do other
> base encodings.

Much more interesting is that now you'll be able to get entirely pinless
packaging, getting out high bandwidth off-die without associating heat
dissipation and area lost to pads. Galvanic separation! Polymer fibres
connecting RAM-CPU modules! Hog heaven.

Plus, one could go optical on-die and on-wafer, use NLO/MEMS/photonic
crystals, and whatnot.

That's a genuine 24ct breakthrough, about as significant as embedded RAM.
Now, can we have WSI next year? Pretty please.

ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204