Re: Ginger discussed on Today Show?

From: Wayne E Baisley (wbaisley@enspherics.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 20:06:05 PST

> Yeah, but we LIKE our power grid.
> Especially us Californians.

Wait 'til you've got a mandated percentage of zero-emissions (electric)
vehicles to recharge. Where do we get people who come up with policies
like these?

<SOAPbox>
The worst thing that 'that previous administration' ever did, IMHO, was
to kill the Integral Fast Reactor research project, and at a point where
it cost just as much to kill it as it would have to finish the
research. The reactor was demonstrably safe (why there's even a Java
simulation that proves it! :-). It had the ability to recycle other
reactors' and its own spent fuel, or material from scrapped warheads,
taking out the fuel's entire actinide section of the periodic table.
And inside a working reactor is an excellently secure place to keep
fissionable materials. Instead of fussing over our nuclear waste
storage "problem", we could have just made electricity.

http://www.anlw.anl.gov/anlw_history/reactors/ifr.html

These new nukes probably wouldn't have been online yet, but they're now
at least a decade further off than they could've been. Where's the
massive new natural gas infrastructure going to come from to feed Ginger
to offset gigawatts of electricity?

Harrumph, er, </SOAPbox>Cheers,
Wayne