Munchkins

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endeavors.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 16:55:33 PST

So, there's been a lot of revisiting on the list nowadays. I
just wanted to revisit Munchkins. Something in COTD (below) sparked
my memory: Rafe's writing on Mesh Networks talking about
end-user radio doing local repeating. Also, I stumbled
across this thing with prototyping them using
Palm V/VIIs on FoRK. [1] Part of this re-interest
comes from a conversation I had with RDHC (Rimer Drive Media)
at the Digital Hollywood conference up in San Jose
this past week. They are doing some really odd radio
stuff on the 5.x gigahertz range. To date, they
don't have a web page, nobody's selling licenses
in that spectrum, and they do some really interesting
mobile stuff. The only similar product I found here.
I am thinking about buying a couple of these so I can
take advantage of a DSL connection 3 miles away at
my wife's parent's house since stupid Pac Bell and
stupider Adelphia cable don't offer broadband to
our little neighborhood. They don't include
prices for the 8Mbs ones, but the 100Mbs ones were going for $19K.

Greg

[1] http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/april00/0601.html
[2] http://www.mpxnet.com/pdf/Data%208%20mpbs%20ethernet.pdf

--