[Fwd: Outer Space Skydive Planned]

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 04:24:15 PST

It is somehow reassuring that the benevolent insanity gene
has not yet gone from the race.. :-) If he does not make
it, I think he is a clear Darwin Award candidate.

--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/> "Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>

ApacheCon 2001! Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission to exhibits and special events - keynote presentations by John 'maddog' Hall and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsors IBM and Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor Compaq. Attend the only Apache event designed and fully supported by the members of the ASF. See more information and register at <http://ApacheCon.Com/>!

attached mail follows:

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:48:31 -0700 From: Jim Beveridge <jimb@empire.net> Subject: FW: Outer Space Skydive Planned

Wicked cool ;-)

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Space-Jump.html

March 4, 2001

Outer Space Skydive Planned

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:46 p.m. ET

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- A former Australian army commando plans to jump off the edge of outer space and plummet almost 25 miles to Earth in the highest skydive ever.

Rodd Millner, 37, will make the 40,000-meter jump by riding in a hot air balloon to the edge of space, the Australian Associated Press reported Sunday. He will wear an astronaut's suit to protect his body from extreme pressures, it said.

The plan calls for Millner to fall at up to 1,100 mph during a seven-minute fall before opening a parachute. If he succeeds, he will break the sound barrier, the report said.

``It's basically extreme science to see how far we can push it -- this is going to change the face of a lot of things ... including emergency procedures for people exploring space,'' he was quoted as saying by AAP.

Millner claims that scientists have helped him on the project, but it is not known if the human body is capable of enduring such a descent.

The jump may be a relaxing change for Millner, who teaches explosives and mine warfare to Australian army recruits.

Millner hopes to turn his plunge into a virtual computer game using film from cameras that will be fitted to his suit and the balloon.

Project Space Jump will be launched from Alice Springs in March 2002.