Re: FoRK This Action!! (P2P's Dark Side)

From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 20:54:42 PST

> > What if these policies were mandated by the government.

In my paranoid moments, I expect to see this. I expect that it will become
illegal for consumers to connect to the net with anything other than a
proprietary, binary-only, crypto-signed, OS that supports copyright
enforcement, and can't act as a server. Well, can't is a strong word, but
you catch my drift.

Given the alternatives of developing a new social contract for intellectual
property, and implementing a police state, I think it's visible which
direction we are going. I just wish I knew how far down that path we'll get.

Eirikur