Re: VPN from Linux to MSFT? (I'm not asking for much...)

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 07:33:47 PST

"Joseph S. Barrera III" wrote:

> Okay, so I've sold the remainder of my MSFT stock, and more
> strikingly, I've finally disinfected my laptop (where I live) of all
> Microsoft Software. To wit, it is now running Red Hat 7.0. So I can
> email and build and everything else, but I don't know how I can VPN
> into Broadbase. Being the enlightened corporation they are, with the
> enlightened IT department they have, nothing besides Microsoft
> operating systems are supported, and that goes double for VPN.
>
> So I've figured out that maybe I need to run PPTP, and so I've
> installed same, but now I'm stuck. How do I tell it my username and
> domain and password?

Both PPTP and IPSEC are terrible because they both assume so many things
that are just not always available. I much prefer PPP/SSH tunneling but
that's only easy with Linux and still needs a little work to make the
server side secure from misc. users.

I spent (wasted) a lot of time on this last year.

I believe you put something like this in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client server secret IP addresses
NTLOVINGDOMAIN\\USERID * CHAPID *

--