Demos

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endeavors.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 19:07:19 PST

We did a demo at the Intel Developer's Forum keynote
last Wednesday. You can see the Webcast at [1][2]. I've
included the interesting parts of the transcript. Essentially
I have Pat Gelsigner's (Intel's CTO) john hancock on my ipaq.

The neat part about the demos is that
all devices had no centralized server components, so that
parts of the Magi DNS server were included on all the
devices. What you saw on stage was what you got. No
email server running offstage, no instant messenger server
running offstage, no centralized wireless
hub offstage (all the 802.11b cards were running in p2p mode)
no offstage security or authentication server as all the
devices were acting in a pure p2p mode and authenticating
each other (there was a small part of the demo that was
cut out for time reasons showing discovering and adding
buddies), but you had your own, mobile and disconnnected
intranet with complete encryption and security isolated to
only the devices that were let in.

The worst part of the demo was that despite 2,000 people
in the auditorium, everyone I talked to at the party
that night hadn't seen it. Dave Stutz had also given
a great talk on Wednesday, but he said something odd. He
said he wanted the day where a group of people could go into
a conference room and all collaborate with each other with no
other equipment. I don't know what he thought we were demoing
at the keynote, but there certainly weren't any "servers" o
Internet connections. We had a completely mobile and disconnected,
secure Intranet. In fact, all you need is an ipaq and an 802.11b
card and you can be searching, file sharing and sending files to
anyone else with one.

Greg

[1] http://www.endeavors.com/news/IDF.htm
[2] http://www.intel94.com/idf/spr2001/keynotes/webcast.asp
[3] http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/speeches/pg20010228idf.htm

 Intel Developer Forum Spring 2001
                                    Keynote by
                                   Pat Gelsinger
                                  February 28, 2001

                    IDF Spring 2001 Virtual Press Kit

                    ANNOUNCER: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome vice president and
                    chief technology officer, Intel Architecture Group, Pat Gelsinger.

                    (Applause.)

                   [content removed]

 Next example of collaboration would be Endeavor's technology. What I'd like
to do is give you a brief demonstration of Endeavors and I'd like to introduce
Brian Morrow, the president and COO of Endeavors. And you're also the --

 BRIAN: Chair of the steering committee of the peer-to-peer Working Group.
I'm a busy guy these days.

PAT GELSINGER: Can you tell us a little bit about Endeavors Technology?

BRIAN: Sure. This morning we released the freeware download version of the
new version of our Magi* technology, much of which we'll be showing today.
The MAGI technology puts a thin server on every network-connected device.
The client and server sides work together like two sides of the same coin to
create a peer, and the peers on every device work with every other device to
interoperate, allow people to find and share information from all edges of the
network inside an organization, no matter what they are.

PAT GELSINGER: Those devices, that's clients, it's servers.

BRIAN: Actually we turn everything into a server, but it can be laptops,
desktops, and today we're going to show it on palm tops.

PAT GELSINGER: Very good. And to help us with our demonstration we have
Sharad Garg from the Intel peer-to-peer lab. Hi, Sharad. Thanks for joining us.
What are we going to demo today?

SHARAD: This shows available information on any device, anyplace, anytime.
You've got to sign a legal document in a peer-to-peer collaborative fashion,
share the document with Brian. He's going to sign it using his iPAQ* and
share with you, and you will sign it and share back with me. The iPAQ uses
Intel® StrongARM™ processor and is using 822.11 wireless protocol.

BRIAN: I hope this legal document isn't too binding.

PAT GELSINGER: Let's find out what we're going to sign here. Is this going to
be a big check you were going to send to my account?

BRIAN: I was hoping it would go the other way. I'm watching my collaborative
space here on the iPAQ and here's the document.

So I'll just pull that up here. Perhaps you could hold that for me. I just don't
have three hands today. And I see it's got a place for me to sign. So I'll just
sign my name. Sign away my life here. And then I will pull up the collaborative
space. Okay.

PAT GELSINGER: In front of all your friends here, I see your manual dexterity
with iPAQs, your demo skills. This is great.

BRIAN: It's very kind of you. I practiced all last evening.

I'm now sharing the file, and let's see how I can share it with. You're here on
my list, so I'll just share that with you.

And in a moment I'll get a message that hopefully it's been shared
successfully.

PAT GELSINGER: Okay.

BRIAN: I see the world turning.

PAT GELSINGER: Yep, and on my iPAQ now it's shown up here, so I see
Brian, iPAQ, and I'll just click on this and, voila, I see your signature here so
I'm going to add my John Hancock to this.

See that. Mine is pretty ugly, isn't it.

(Laughter.)

PAT GELSINGER: And then I'm going to share this. Click "okay" here.
Explore, go back to inbox. Okay. Got it, Sharad?

SHARAD: Yeah, here.

BRIAN: This is exciting here.

SHARAD: I received the file with both of your signatures.

PAT GELSINGER: Okay?

BRIAN: Sharad?

SHARAD: Yeah.

PAT GELSINGER: Okay. Very good. So we see the completed document
signed by both of us.

Brian, this is a nice scenario, we're seeing the shared collaborative space,
wired, wireless devices. But what are the real-world applications of such a
capability?

BRIAN: We're working with one of our value?added resellers right now to use
these devices in a hospital setting. They're putting Compaq iPAQ in every
doctor's pocket. As the doctor travels around the hospital, he'll be able to use
the iPAQ to call up the patient records, to write prescriptions, and to contact
other doctors directly who are also carrying iPAQs.

So the peer-to-peer network will be iPAQ to iPAQ all around the hospital.

PAT GELSINGER: So as well as the PCs, the servers.

BRIAN: Everything becomes a server, including the iPAQs, so we're dealing
with the patient record servers as well as each doctor being a server unto
himself.

PAT GELSINGER: Okay. Now we'll have new excuses for doctors having bad
signatures.

BRIAN: Great. Thanks, Pat.

PAT GELSINGER: Thank you very much, Brian. Thanks, Sharad. (Applause.)

--
Gregory Alan Bolcer        | gbolcer@endtech.com    | work: 949.833.2800
Chief Technology Officer   | http://www.endtech.com | cell: 714.928.5476