Web shell? (I'm not asking for much...)

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 12:50:16 PST

Kragen's GIF-based chat thingie he posted about the other day has had
me thinking...

It's always been tres annoying to me that I have to have local
software installed to get (secure) access to a remote shell on some
server machine on which I've got an account. Neo-nazi firewall
admins, and all that, telnet regarded harmful, etc. Why shouldn't I
be able to access an interactive shell from any browser, interaction
tunneled over an HTTP connection and secured through i.e. SSL?
Wouldn't that be an acceptable alternative to i.e. SSH?

Anybody seen anything like that? Applet, GIF-based thingie,
whatever? Something I could huck up onto a Web server then go to
town? Surely this exists, surely somebody wrote something like this
way back in the dark ages of the Web.

Bueller? Bueller?

Pointers appreciated.

jb