Re: FoRK This Action!! (P2P's Dark Side)

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 12:41:21 PST

I think this is great! Finally, a business model that (maybe) makes sense for
free ISPs! We give you free pipe, quid pro quo you let us harvest your
(hopefully spare) cycles. Win-win! Now, if only the market exists to resell
those cycles...

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Consumers eventually have to pay
*something.* Apparently, they can't afford to pay attention, ;-) so perhaps
the payment is private information, perhaps it's CPU cycles, etc. etc.
Personally, I'd rather it be cycles than stats, but it's got to be
*something.* Note that this agreement, as I read it, doesn't modify any
existing uses or restrictions on use of personal information by Juno.

This all seems very fair to me. Would I use it? No, but that doesn't mean
this isn't just the ticket for millions of other folks.

jb