Re: Odd to hear an earthquake....

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 12:48:17 PST

Hey Tom (and any other FoRKers with comm problems due to the quake)-- Drop
me a note, I'll give anyone you like a jingle to let 'em know you're ok.

I'm *very* glad that KnowNow moved out of the building over by SafeCo Field!
The walls and stairwells were full of cracks and crack-meters from the pile
driving of SafeCo Field construction, and I always figured that if there were
an earthquake the building would lose badly.

Ya know, both the tiny startups I've worked for got real funding and real
offices
just as I was leaving. Hmm. Maybe I'm a good luck charm. You have to catch
the
fey critter AND let it go to get your wishes/luck in most of the legends. :-)

_SRC

Tom WSMF wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:
>
> --]I just was on a conference call about 10 minutes ago with several folks in Kirkland WA (near Seattle). We had to "call" the telecon on account of earthquake -- it must have lasted at least 15 seconds, with a couple of aftershocks. Really, really weird to be talking with them during this. Lots of "Get under the desk" and "Whoa!" comments.
> --]
> --]They guessed around 6, but that assumes that Kirkland was near the epicenter.
>
> Im in downtown portland....Our building rocked and rolled . What a ride. I
> hoofed it down the stairs and got as close to the river as possible:)-
> Being a NYer at heart I know the nightmare of falling buildings.
>
> Current reports have it pegged at a 7 centered just south of seattle. Cell
> circuts are jammed. I cant get a call out to my folks. Landlines fare a
> bit better, but not much. Calls into seattle are near doa.
>
> More as it shakes out.

> \ /
> X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> / \ Against HTML Mail

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **