Re: Nokia Munchkins (via GeeK)

From: Danny O'Brien (danny@spesh.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 09:10:16 PST

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:33:38AM -0800, Rohit Khare wrote:
> Nokia Delivers Wireless Broadband for Homes in North America; Affordable
> High-Speed Internet Access to Consumers Made Possible by Revolutionary Mesh
> Network Design
>
> SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 19, 2001--Nokia (NYSE:NOK) today
> announced that it has successfully completed its first commercial trials
> with its new Nokia RoofTop(TM) Wireless Routing wireless broadband network
> solution. Nokia will begin delivering the Nokia R240, an all-in-one outdoor
> router, and the Nokia RoofTop(TM) Router Management System (RMS), a solution
> that simplifies the installation and monitoring of the wireless network, to
> North American carriers and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in the second
> quarter of 2001.

Interesting, but I'd hazard that the 802.11 incompatibility'll stymie take-up
(<insert standard proprietary/open protocol conversation here>)

But while we're on this topic, does anyone here want to cast a beady eye on
this mobile ad-hoc networking protocol? It seems, from my idiot-level eye, to
be reassuringly simple, at the same time as being worryingly simple.

It includes working code, and rollaboutable now to 802.11 networks. Which
means, that if someone doesn't scream about it now, it might well spread very
quickly, very soon. I sense a great need for this kind of system.

http://www.mitre.org/tech_transfer/mobilemesh/

d.