[Salon] Losing Faith in PayPal

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@knownow.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 13:18:00 PST

I'm guessing that PayPal is doomed for the same reasons First Virtual
was doomed five years ago -- until the economics make sense, email
payments are too expensive when fully costed to account for fraud and
the actual transaction price of moving money. Once the economics make
sense, every bank in the world will have an email payment mechanism of
its own.

   http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/02/23/pay_pal/print.html

What's interesting is that Rohit tried to give Peter Thiel and Max
Levchin a history lesson in Dec 1999 about previous endeavors in the
electronic payments space, and Peter & Max were content to ignore history.

By the way, thanks to Phil, Rohit and I were among the first to sign up
for PayPal, and despite the paragraph

> More than 10,000 people signed up before Jan. 1, 2000. The winter and
> spring brought further growth as the eBay faithful started
> recommending the service as superior to BillPoint, the auction giant's
> own payment system. Users raved that it was easier to sign up, and
> even though PayPal shrunk the bonuses to $5 per new account, the
> expansion kept going. New accounts poured in: 100,000 by Feb. 1; 1
> million by Easter. No one -- not Thiel, not Chaum, not the analysts
> who covered electronic finance -- saw it coming.

I distinctly remember that many people definitely saw the explosion in
PayPal usage it coming because of a principle called the "Connolly
Adoption Hypothesis". Meaning if Dan Connolly goes out of his way to
start using something, like he did with PayPal, then most likely that
thing will see exponential growth, because inside each of us is a little
Dan Connolly inspiring our every move... :)

> [...]
> safer and it made the most sense." At some point, Chaum predicts, the
> banks will recognize that they belong in PayPal's market. By directly
> tying already existing financial accounts to digital currency, they'll
> eventually create a more convenient service that renders PayPal
> obsolete, says Chaum.
>
> Banks have the advantage of consolidation, says Tom McGrath at
> BEI. "Credit cards took off because you could use one piece of plastic
> to do what a whole wallet of store cards used to do," he
> says. Similarly, consumers will embrace bank-based e-currency systems
> because "we simply don't need more payment methods. Too many already
> exist."
>
> PayPal could attempt to trump the banks by becoming a bank itself, but
> PayPal appears to want to avoid getting under an official institutional
> umbrella. Its terms of use emphasize that PayPal is "not a bank ... not
> subject to banking regulations," and while the company considered buying
> a bank charter last year, executives ruled against it. "The cost and
> regulatory burden was too high," Thiel says. The paperwork and all the
> restrictions of law were just too much. "Consumers didn't want another
> bank account, they want to move money," he says.
>
> That may be the case, but at some point, banking experts argue, both
> users and PayPal might need to think beyond their next purchase of an
> antique lamp. E-payment providers aren't the only unregulated financial
> institutions -- Western Union and American Express, for example, also
> run outside banking laws -- but "there isn't much of a chance that
> they'll go out of business," says Jeff Baker, an analyst at
> W.R. Hambrecht, an investment bank.
>
> PayPal and its ilk, on the other hand, are far more fragile. Banking
> experts argue that the very novelty factor that they're using to ask for
> special treatment puts the company at greater risk. Fraud, consumer
> backlash, new competitors and an industry wracked by failure all
> highlight the shaky state of PayPal's prominence and the potential need
> for more consumer protection. "Considering the public policy issues
> involved," says Thomas at Wharton, "it appears that this is an area
> where some type of regulation would be appropriate."
>
> The FTC, the catch-all regulator of Western Union and other businesses
> that fall outside specific corporate laws, has yet to call for tighter
> new legislation. The agency is trying to balance the potential for
> deception against the benefits of letting a new economy business grow
> unstifled, says Tracy Thorleifson, a staff attorney who has studied
> e-payment providers. "It's still up in the air about whether more laws
> are needed," she says.
>
> But while the drama plays out among PayPal users, in the courts and
> perhaps in Congress, Thorleifson is offering some somber advice. "I
> suggest that people keep their PayPal balances low," she says.

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Anyone perfect must be lying. Anything easy has its cost. Anyone plain can be lovely. Anyone loved can be lost. What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nurse this infection? Maybe the worst is behind... -- Barenaked Ladies, "Falling for the First Time"