Re: Divorce: shared custody should be mandatory

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 19:34:30 PST

Grlygrl201@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/22/01 8:50:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, sdw@lig.net
> writes:
>
> <<
> I disagree. Although they should choose to have counseling, if they
> decide it's not going to work, they're probably right. The point is
> that the presumption is that they will make it work for the children. >>
>
> man, i don't even know you and i'm ready to divorce your sorry ass! :-)

LOL, that's funny.

> WHAT I MEANT was not counseling to fix the marriage, but counseling for
> damage control during the divorce.

That's not what Colorado's law is intending which was the cause for this
thread in the first place. Sounded like you were agreeing with 'Dr.'
Laura.

> (personally, i think there is a much bigger issue to this thread: self
> gratification vs family survival. but i'm on the right coast and it's my
> bedtime.)

Family survival in what sense? Literal progeny or the traditional
family unit?

I think it's an issue of parental responsibility which is a
characteristic of making a useful difference, self-worth, and successful
procreation in the greater sense. Self-gratification is also
ambiguous. In my case it means furthering my goals of being a
worthwhile person rather than shallow hedonistic satisfaction of hurting
your former spouse.

> gg

sdw

--