RE: in shock

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 11:49:56 PST

Is the problem here that you're insensitive or just stupid?

You cloud the issue by contrasting fast, painless death to slow lingering
death -- without acknowledging that avoiding risk of sudden death may lead
to many more years of life. I'd point out that the large number of people
who choose to die slowly of cancer rather than just putting a pistol in
their mouth belies your claim that you "know" how people who die of cancer
think.

Your statement that it's better to die quickly is a false choice. Unless
you're paralyzed from the neck down, it's almost always possible to die
quickly, no matter what chronic disease you have.

But that isn't even the issue. Rather, the issue is that you seem to think
that it's appropriate for you to say what the right way for people to die
is--and your implied condemnation of those who make other choices with their
lives.

You choose how you want to die and I won't criticize that. Just refrain
from making broad value judgements on how other people should die.

Lisa