Re: The Onion on Lava Lamps

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 14:45:16 PST

Random but related, thought I'd toss it out here so that at least it's
documented for prior art purposes if anyone files in the future.

Assume: some form of remote measurement of a data source for which independent
but synchronized measurements yield an identical stream of bits independent of
the observer's location. (I'm thinking of a variety of measurements that can be
performed on stars, for example.)

If one can communicate an observation schedule using a secure channel ---
perhaps out of band, perhaps initially using a predistributed one-time pad ---
then one has an infinite, renewable one time pad. You solve the one time pad
distribution problem.

Just a random, ticklish thought that's been bugging me for a while.

Anybody seen this before? It's pretty obvious, but people will patent anything
these days.

jb