Re: UCSC Grad. student "saviour" of genome project

From: Antoun Nabhan (antoun@arrayex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 07:02:27 PST

I don't know what GeneAssembler was written in, but I'll ask around. I'm
told that it was run on a Beowulf cluster, which is pretty cool considering
that Celera has a very expensive 1.2 Tflop cluster of Compaq Alphas running
DEC Unix. Celera is building a 100 Tflop machine along with Sandia Nat'l
Labs and Compaq.

For added geek value, check out Paracel and TimeLogic. They each make
hardware that is meant to hard-code and accelerate some of these assembly
algorithms, as well as the variable-frame homology programming algorithms
like BLAST & Smith-Waterman.

As for what we do, well... :-)
--A.