Re: We can all breathe a sigh of relief.

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 16:56:01 PST

Au contraire-- lately many biotech firms are renaming themselves to "life
sciences" corporations and/or changing their mission statements. Out
with hard-edged cold cruel bioTECHNOLOGY and in with warm fuzzy mom and
apple pie LIFE SCIENCES. After all, who's against "life"?

But seriously, they've actually called it correctly. The reasoning behind
the linguistic drift varies, but it has more to do with positioning and
not leaving any stones unturned than political correctness, satires aside.
If you're a "biotechnology" company, you're probably working on software,
sequencing, or diagnostic tools. If you're a "life sciences" company,
you've got a holistic approach to building up a huge patent inventory
and laying down in the dirt with any of the big pharmas or chemibiz
companies that want to do a little sequencing, a little protein folding,
look for reagent locks that like their already-patented keys, etc.

Wups, there I go again. Then again, my latest scrounge in the Sunnyvale
Library "new book" shelf netted "Bitter Harvest", an interesting cross
between the rant section of Fuokoka's "One Straw Revolution" and the
non-biological parts of "Spoiled". Monsanto practically gets a whole
chapter. If you think software licensing has gone a little nuts, try
seed licensing. Buying gengineered seed and want to save some for the
next harvest? Sorry, no can do, you have to buy it again and pay a
licensing fee on top of it. In 1998 there were over 400 lawsuits against
poor schmucks who were saving it anyway, mostly the Roundup Ready
soybean stuff.

Don't worry, rev 2 is here-- with the patented "gene stacking" approach
that Monsanto is perfecting, they can put in the USDA-assisted developed
"Terminator" gene which guarantees seed sterility for the 2nd generation.
Nema problema, as they say in Serbia. OK, because a few wild-eyed
bunny-huggers and tree-kissers (mostly in Europe!) got upset, Monsanto is
putting off widespread "deployment" of the T2 crosses until 2004.

Back to work...

_SRC

Ted Carroll wrote:

> It seems that Guy and crew aren't too hip on the whole Internet thing
> anymore. Notice the reference to "life sciences business". I admit it. I
> went in 1999 -- the year of "IWantToBlowMyNoseInYourHair.com"
>
> Ted C.
>
> -----
>
> [buy one get on free off crap deleted]
> Special offer for Southern California Bootcamp!
>
> Garage.com is bringing its Bootcamp for Startups conference to Costa Mesa,
> CA, February 6-7. With this special offer, it's an event you definitely
> don't want to miss. Register online now for the Southern California
> Bootcamp, and you can register a colleague or friend to attend the
> conference free of charge. This offer will not be valid at the door, so be
> sure to register online by February 1. For full details, visit:
>
> http://www.garage.com/bootcamp/offer01SC.shtml
>
> If you are building a high technology or life sciences business, be sure to
> attend Garage.com's Bootcamp for Startups conference. In two days of
> intensive, high-energy sessions, you'll get expert advice from major players
> on everything from fundraising and business development to recruiting and
> marketing. Find out how to refine your business model. Discover how to
> position--and pitch--your startup to investors. Network with peers and
> potential mentors.
>
> [more gunk deleted]

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **