Re: greenspan (and more media bias)

From: Bill Stoddard (bill@wstoddard.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 06:51:06 PST

npr:
Leads with something like " Greenspan says tax cuts are inefficient way to
avoid recession". What AG really said is attempts to stave off recession with
tax cuts have historically failed. Once you start seeing signs of recession,
you will be deep in it before a tax cut can be passed and implemented. Okay so
far... NPR then points out that Greenspan is in favor if tax cuts that can be
quickly recinded if the budget projections turn out too optimistic. Okay...

cnn.com:
Headlines a story that makes essentially the same points.

time.com
Ditto.

foxnews.com
Headlines a story that makes the same points, with less spin and with one very
important addition: Foxnews reported that Greenspan also cautioned congress to
be careful about approving new spending programs because once new spending
programs are put in place, they are difficult to shutdown.

The issue of how federal tax dollars are spent is the essence of the
'conservative vs liberal' debate imho. And three of the above 'news sources'
choose to completely ignore Greenspan's comments on spending programs. That's
bias plain and simple. This sort of one sided press coverage has been going on
for years in the gun control debate. How the hell can anyone be expected to
make an 'informed' decisions with shit for sources? I've concluded that most
people are just not -really- interested in the truth; they would rather get
off on emotional masturbation sessions.

Bill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010125/aponline100929_000.htm