Jamie Zawinski, please go back to coding!

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 22:13:45 PST

When is this guy going to give up this ridiculous stargazing and return
to the holy war of making the world safe for decent code standards?

> From announce-request@dnalounge.com Wed Jan 17 20:12:40 2001
> Sender: jwz@dnalounge.com
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:05:19 -0800
> From: Jamie Zawinski <jwz@dnalounge.com>
> Subject: calling all promoters...
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I haven't been using this mailing list very often, since we're still
> deep in the throes of construction here at the club. Presumably those
> of you who are interested in all the gory details of that have been
> following along with my weekly updates:
>
> http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/log/latest.html
>
> This message is to let you know that, although we haven't set an
> opening date yet, we're getting a lot closer, and it's time for us to
> start thinking about what events we'll be booking here. So if you're
> interested in promoting a weekly, monthly, or periodic party here at
> the DNA Lounge, now would be a good time to send a note to
> booking@dnalounge.com, or call our booking office at 415.626.2654.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jamie Zawinski jwz@dnalounge.com http://www.dnalounge.com/

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

webMethods, Inc. (Nasdaq:WEBM - news), the leading provider of business-to-business integration (B2Bi) solutions, today announced that the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has acknowledged the co-submission of an extension to the Simple Object Access Protocol 1.1 (SOAP 1.1) specification. The specification extension, SOAP Messages with Attachments, adds to the capabilities of SOAP 1.1 to allow non-textual data such as catalog images, handwritten signatures, blueprints and circuit diagrams, to be effectively included in and transferred with XML documents.

``We are pleased to be invited by Microsoft to participate in this submission as it reinforces our leadership position in the development and support of open standards and protocols that allow companies to overcome traditional integration challenges,'' said Stewart Allen, vice president of Architecture and Technology for webMethods, Inc. ``SOAP 1.1 and this extension provide a sufficiently light-weight protocol that small and mid-sized companies can use to enable B2B operations. We will continue to track this standard in our product line as we believe it will play a significant role in accelerating the widespread adoption of B2B.''

The SOAP 1.1 specification created by Microsoft, IBM, Lotus Development Corp., DevelopMentor, UserLand Software and other W3C members uses XML and HTTP to provide a common messaging protocol to link applications and services anywhere on the Internet. SOAP 1.1 facilitates the transfer of information by defining a framework for describing what is in a message and how to process it.

webMethods joined other W3C members Microsoft, IBM, Commerce One, Hewlett-Packard, and IONA Technologies in submitting the SOAP 1.1 extension. As a result of the specification extension, companies can use SOAP 1.1 to transfer more types of data from one application to another, eliminating steps and streamlining processes. The submitted extension does not require any changes to the SOAP 1.1 specification already acknowledged by the W3C. The acknowledgment of the extension from the W3C does not imply endorsement by the W3C.

-- http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010116/va_webmeth.html

Web-design software products company Macromedia (Nasdaq: MACR - news) announced the formation of the "Flash Advertising Alliance," a panel of companies whose first move was to unveil a system for tracking the clickthroughs for online advertisements using the company's Flash software for creating animated Web content.

That news becomes more interesting given today's release of fiscal third-quarter (ended Dec. 31) financial results and forward guidance. Online advertisements -- as best demonstrated by the recent earnings woes of Yahoo! (Nasdaq: YHOO - news) and DoubleClick (Nasdaq: DCLK - news) -- are media non grata these days as ad buyers and sellers alike struggle to put a number on their value and effectiveness.

That wasn't enough to stem a steep morning share price slide as the company said it expects Q4 revenues excluding shockwave.com's -- Macromedia once hoped to spin off the entertainment venture but, following its purchase of AtomFilms, will now record its results as an equity interest rather than as part of its own operations -- to be "similar to" Q3's $103 million "due to softening macroeconomic conditions."

The outlook for the next fiscal year is a little muddier as the company today announced the purchase of web applications platform developer Allaire (Nasdaq: ALLR - news), which owns the HomeSite webpage editor and the ColdFusion application server for developing scalable e-business software. Macromedia will exchange 0.2 shares of its stock and $3 in cash for each Allaire share -- another deal signifying the renewed importance of hard green as equity returns to earth -- for a total value of about $360 million. The cash is expected to boost Macromedia earnings in its 2002 fiscal year.

Now Macromedia is guiding investors toward combined revenues of $630 million, which would represent about 60% growth over the $394 million projected for the current fiscal year. Combined full-year EPS for fiscal 2002 is seen at about $1.70.

Investors no doubt took note of the impact the aforementioned "macro effects" seem to be having on the company's business, as the pre-Allaire company turned in top line growth of 72% during the last completed fiscal year. That shouldn't surprise many folks, though, as many of Macromedia's customers -- web design firms, consultancies, companies that operate their own websites and more -- have tightened or even removed belts amid the dot-com collapse.

-- http://biz.yahoo.com/mf/010117/plate_010117.html