Re: 1-kilogram Linux server, $1300 (fwd)

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 23:07:43 PST

Justin Mason wrote:

> Steve Dossick said:
>
> > Interesting to see that size or power can be had for similar amounts of
> > $$. We just built some 1ghz athlon linux boxes (512mb ram, 45gb disk,
> > etc.) for around $1500 apiece by purchasing the parts and assembling
> > ourselves...yes, this was in the pre-funding days of yesteryear :)
>
> It should be cheaper, too! Is this an end-user price?
>
> It's a SBC (single board computer); some of these come with roughly that
> form factor, with built-in sound, video, 10BaseT ethernet, USB, parallel,
> serial, kbd/mouse, and the (trade-only) price is under $600 (I'd reckon;
> probably depends on volume as well though).
>
> So the additional hardware they have is just the laptop form-factor hard
> disk, PCMCIA and IRDA, which should not make up roughly $700 worth!
>
> I guess there'd be a markup for end-users though as you'd probably have to
> buy through a distributor -- but that price still seems high...
> maybe the volume factor is what's pushing it up?

Using standard form factors, this is overpriced. I buy motherboards from
Amptron for around $100 that include everything. A fully configured
mini-tower is about $400 with more power than this (500Mhz, 10GB, 64MB).
Since this apparently is a custom motherboard with carefully engineered power
consumption to avoid venilation, it's probably cheap. Industrial controllers
(PC104, etc.) are typically much more expensive than commodity for good
reason.

It's the formfactor, low power, and unneeded venilation that makes this
interesting. I haven't seen a rating on max ambient temperature or convection
clearance but it's still impressive.

Note that they also don't include an AC power supply, although they obviously
include DC-DC supplies since it runs on a single 5V 6 amp supply. 30 watts is
still pretty hefty.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net                 sdw@insta.com                 swilliams@Jabber.com