Organizine shuts down one week after its launch

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 09:58:39 PST

One of the biggest problems I foresee in a world of Web services will be
this: you write a service, it becomes popular, and then you have to
spend lots of time (to figure out how to provide the service in a way
that scales) and money (to pay for the scaling) supporting that service.
Actually, support includes not only the cost of scaling but also the
cost of debugging, improving, and maintaining the service itself.

Right now there's no company out there that can ease the burden of the
time and money needed to support a service. That will have to change.

Recently Blogger and Organizine, among others, have felt this pain.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but AmIHotOrNot also Got Big Fast and were it
not for the generosity of Rackspace, would have had quite a hosting bill
on its hands...)

What does Strata call this, "success disaster"?

    http://www.trenchant.org/rants/51.html

(By the way, Organizine was brilliant. Brilliant.)

> Mistakes Were Made
> January 9, 2001
>
> Preface: Have I mentioned recently that I suck? Sorry about that.
>
> I'm shutting down Organizine, barely a week after it launched to the public.
> Everyone thinks I'm crazy. This is understandable. I probably am.
>
> When you run a completely free service for a week, I don't think you
> "owe" anybody an explanation, as some have suggested to me. I mean,
> really, that's just absurd. I don't owe anybody anything, I was giving
> away software and storage space for free, asked for nothing in return,
> and made no guarantees about the service.
>
> And there really isn't much of an explanation that will make anyone feel
> any better. This is more about me than anything else, which is why it is
> in the personal essays section of my personal web site, not on the front
> page of Organizine.
>
> Yes, I'm shutting it down for "personal reasons."
>
> I just don't want to run the service, it's that simple.
>
> I enjoyed writing the software, I enjoyed using the software, I enjoyed
> seeing my friends use and like the software, and to a cetain extent I
> enjoyed seeing people I didn't know use and like what I created.
>
> But I just don't want to be responsible for hundreds of users' content,
> and supporting and maintaining a web application. It's too much
> responsibility that I don't want.
>
> I just don't want to deal with it at all while I'm in school.
>
> It's not that I can't do it, I simply don't want to. Is that selfish? Of
> course, I'm the first to admit that it is. I probably don't have the
> right kind of personality to run a project like this. I should have
> thought a lot more about the sorts of things that were involved in
> providing a free web application that stored and published content
> before launching it to the public.
>
> And giving things away for free doesn't really work forever, you
> know. And for every kind and grateful person that makes it seem
> worthwhile, there are a dozen other rude, ungrateful jerks. But I
> expected that.
>
> I don't think any of the issues I have are insurmountable, it's just
> that I do not want to deal with them right now. Leaving it running and
> never bothering to support it, or worry about backups, and security and
> hosting and a bunch of other things is not an option. I would just leave
> me feeling guilty and horrible.
>
> Aww, aww, poor me, I'd feel "bad."
>
> But it was honestly making me physically ill.
>
> I know, I'm crazy, that's my fault.
>
> Cliche as it is, I just don't like the way I'm living my life right now.
>
> I'm 20. I'm a college student. I'm still a kid. These aren't the
> problems I want to deal with. These aren't the things I want to worry
> about. And I don't have to, these are responsibilities I've taken on
> myself and I can get rid of them if I so choose. And I'm choosing to do so.
>
> "Can I just say something here that may be a bit out of line?" my
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Adam writes about why he shut down Organizine, the content management web application he spent a few months building and then launched very recently. He writes: "Everyone thinks I'm crazy. This is understandable. I probably am." I think quite the opposite. Adam is completely right and sane-sounding to me. Why on Earth would he want to spend his junior year of college managing a web application? Most people have no idea what that involves. If you say, well then he was crazy for building it in the first place, I say wrong again: Building stuff is fun!

This episode brings up some interesting issues about web applications. If Adam would have chosen to take on the responsibilities of running Organizine, and it gained popularity, it would have become a significant financial burden, as well as a time- and energy-sink. In order to manage that burden, he would have needed to either limit users to some manageable level or start charging money (or find some other business model to sustain the free service). Going to all that work for a limited number of users would be discouraging. But to start charging money requires forming some sort of business (or other entity) around the service, which creates all kinds of new headaches.

For non-web applications, there isn't such a dilemma. You can release your software for free (or shareware, or whatever) and put it out into the world without such the responsibilities or potential burdens of success. Of course, prior to widespread Internet use, it was difficult and/or expensive to get your software into many people's hands quickly. So, as more application move to the web, it's kind of like we're moving back to a time when distribution for software is an issue for software companies, where, for a while there, it wasn't so much. Kind of.

-- http://www.evhead.com/ January 10, 2001