Re: books on programming

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 12:43:39 PST

Aaron Swartz writes:
> Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone know if it's on the Web?
> > On Dennis Richie's excellent home page of course. Google is your friend.
> >
> > http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/cacm.html
>
> Yes, but what about the other excellent articles?

It's not precisely what you're asking for, but volume 2 of the v7 Unix
Programmer's Manual contains material which is at least similar to the
some of the BSTJ articles, and of similar vintage. However, I don't
know whether, say, the v2 UPM "Introduction to the Unix Shell" by
Bourne is the same text as the BSTJ article, and some of the BSTJ
articles clearly aren't there in any form.

The v7 UPM is available (in [nt]roff source) from Ritchie's home page.

rst