Re: AOLbyPhone is officially cool...

From: rbfar@ebuilt.com
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 16:39:25 PST

I think the main reasons for voice to be popular are that the telephone is
the most popular electronic device and that next gen entertainment devices
are making a push for voice user interface control (and then communication)

Also, that we spent the 90's mostly on building the infrastructure: the
next big wave will focus, I believe, on the user interface. Things will be
dormant for a couple of years while the economy sucks gas. BUT, during
these couple of years, the next gen. winners will be creating products that
will pump up technology. ONE of them being voice user interfaces.

The technology has improved drastically. I've played with SpeechWorks and
AlphaWorks (IBM). I've done real work on Nuance. Nuance has everyone beat
in core technolgoy, but SpeechWorks is hot on their trail.

Regardless, when I looked into this stuff several years ago, technology was
really not usable. I've been coding an application using Nuance, and, it is
commercial quality.

This technology is ready to become main stream.