BW Online | January 4, 2001 | "E-Commerce Failed on Its Own Merits"

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 13:34:12 PST

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jan2001/nf2001014_088.htm

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **

BW Online | January 4, 2001 | "E-Commerce Failed on Its Own Merits" Click Here to Go Directly to the Story
Register/Subscribe
Click here!

Today's News
News Archive
Reuters News
Columns

Market Update

FORUMS VIDEO VIEWS SEARCH NEWSLETTERS

Subscribe to BW
Contact Us
Advertising
Conferences
Permissions & Reprints
Services
Marketplace
JANUARY 4, 2001

NEWSMAKER Q&A

"E-Commerce Failed on Its Own Merits"
Retail anthropologist Paco Underhill talks about why e-tailing may never live up to its hype

Printer-Friendly Version
E-Mail This Story

Find More Stories Like This
Thanks to Paco Underhill, American retailers now all know about the "butt-brush" factor. You see, store customers don't like narrow aisles, says Underhill, one of the country's top authorities on how consumers behave in retail stores: "Once you jostle someone from behind, the person tends to flee what is presumably an uncomfortable situation -- no matter how fabulous the product."

Common sense like that -- and thousands of hours of videotapes chronicling consumer behavior -- has given Underhill a reputation as a preeminent "retail anthropologist." Although it has been two years since the release of his book, Why We Buy, many of Underhill's published observations and predictions remain remarkably current.

Business Week Online's Stefani Eads recently caught up with Underhill in his office in New York's garment district. The topic of discussion: What about e-tailers? They've had a rough time of late. What went wrong? And how can it all go right?

Underhill's view: All retailers got too caught up with Net hype and forgot to focus on the consumer. They were far too worried with keeping up with competitors. The result is an unhappy and unsatisfied consumer public, Underhill says. "At the end of the day, retail is a god-awful business," he says. "It's all about running details and making them perfect day in and day out." Here are edited excerpts of their conversation:

Q: Let's start with what you said in your book. Do you feel vindicated?